Sunday, May 6, 2007

Western Connecticut State University (WCSU)

This past January, Fr Michael Lasky -director of Campus Ministry at WCSU, brought a group of twelve to St. Mary's. The theme for the alternate January Break: give success to the work of our hands!







The primary project was the painting of a classroom used for the Pre Vocational School housed below the parish office. This space had not seen a paint brush for many years... it had an open pipe draining to the room... and has been used Monday thru Thursday for young adults who left the formal education system (for many and varied reasons).


In addition the students assisted in the Cupertino Program and the feeding program. Much to our protestations, the school children swore the WCSU students we the cast from Scoobie-doo. On Thursday the paintings was complete so the guys dragged out the basketball hoop. Needles to say within a few minutes a crowd soon followed.


On Friday we went to Lime Cay for a day of Caribbean sand and sun. We began our day with Mass on the beach. Swimming, Kentucky Fried and Juci Patties carried us over until dinner at a local fish place - Glorias.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was such an awarding, fun, and educational(not lame-ducational but fun-ducational) experience. A big THANKYOU to Brothers Michael, Michael, Michael, and Father Joe for helping to set this up. Another BIG THANKYOU for all of our wonderful Jamaican hosts/hostesses that took us in for our week long stay. Question: Would I be able to get a recording of the music sang at St. Mary's, sung by the Parishoners? I loved the music and I still think about it all the time! I plan on coming back this December, hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I second most of what Devin Said...going to Jamaica was one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I can't wait to come back in December, and i miss you all! would you be able to send me any pictures you all may have taken (including the shot of our group on the steps of St. Mary's and the one of the group in the classroom we painted)? i don't have these and would love to add them to our collection. You're amazing, Brother Michael, along with the rest of the staff at St. Mary's. Thanks for all you do - Miss you all!!! -Gina Siergiej

arianne said...

I recently have had such fond memories of painting and especially scraping the classroom to get ready for the paint job, because this summer my dad is painting the deck and asked me to help him scrape off all the old paint. As I scrape my mind drifts to those smiling faces that looked in through the windows as we worked, or how Fr. had to chase all the little ones out the door so we could acompilsh the job. The memories I have from Jamaica will always make me smile. I just hope that the students of Westconn gave your community as much as you gave all of us.